Sunday 27 November 2016



Matsuo Basho

The master of mind.

disability




ROAD TRIP


We dropped L.S.D and M.D.M.A.

I got behind the wheel, the car

was part of me, my foot was

stuck to the accelerator.


We were at Bettystown for

a stag weekend. I tore down

the Dublin road to the air-

port. I drove down the white

line overtaking, overtaking.



Why I remember this I don't

know, this is not a drug thing

but a memory thing. we were

tripping out of our minds.



I'm still out of my mind.







I HAD NO PERSONALITY

RIPPED OFF MONOCHROME

I have tried not to rhyme this pome until it’s very end.
Sex, drink and drugs do nothing for me, my brain in-
Jury but a tiny feather came though my door
And sparked my poetic in-sight.  The jury is out  
Tipped white, it lays abandoned on the floor.

Humanity is torn of, ripped off monochrome
I could surmise where it came from but I’m better
Off not knowing, it’s within the shifting light.
All I need to know is that it is a wild and tender

Touch, the birds still out there in the cold but
The feather keeps me warm, in thoughts of snow.
The feather is in-tri-cate just like a snow flake, there
Are three things in nature in me.


Place, feather, pome, tipped white, tender, home.

ONE ANGRY MAN, ON GOING

His care arrived and seen he was reading
‘Anger is an energy’, he looked at her with
Eyes of nature, one green/brown
And one brown/green.  

Rolled washed and wheelchaired to see a land-
scape of loss and joy, the tree stood bare, alone.
He seen beyond material stuff and in-here-
I-tense, beyond the middle class public school-
Boy way.  He went down his own road, he took
Life on the chin and lost to win.

Memory was not on the tree but his mother
Was always there, she was the apple of his eye
Insight of humanity.

The trees were all he had to go on, they were
The fence around his home.  He shadowed to
And from his computer, as he had no memory
To go on but painting and writing was on his mind
A mixed medium, living sin.  If you believed in sin.

His memory was erased along with dreamscape
Maybe they were just suspended inside damaged
Brain in-jury, locked in.  These words were all he had
to on, they set him free!

NESTING EX-MAS

While the world thinks ex-mas
A scrawny thrush guards home

Below roof tiles. A bird’s eye view

For Santa but there’s no chimney

Pot to get down. A bird of downy

Feathers keeps me warm 

on ex-mas’ eve.


Flying around tinsel town, pecking scraps 

Our waste and there’s a lot to get through.

That frail bird keeps me alive, not thinking

Ex-mas. He is on his spire.


Things are looking up and down. We don’t
Need buttresses to get close to god, we just
Need humanity below roof tiles. Like him
I’m waiting for leaves to return like snip-
Pets of memory. Now I feel lost
Naked, bare, alone but soon new-
Life will be here.

THE QUEEN (Patricia Keogh)
My mother was the queen of holly-
Wood, she walked down the stairs
Every day with the strength of Joan
Crawford and Bette Davis with
The beauty of Grace Kelly.

I woke to that everyday striding
The stairs with innocence
And wonder, every-
Day I faced that.
.
Through good times and bad
She took me here to
Magic. She took me here

alive to give you hope in
Her words.
‘it’s not hard to be civil’!


BAAAAAAAAAASTARD

St fucking Stephen, a man of grace and power
Got stoned, so much for cruc-i-why-fucking-fiction.
 I’m fed up with this indoctrinated bullshit.   
He formed the belief we live today, you people
are being herded like sheep into a capitalistic
religious pig pen, we don’t need sheep dogs any-
more, we just whistle silent fucking night.

I have sat alone for the past two days, only for
my son Glenn and family I’d be lost.  Watching
birds feather fight in a clear blue sky, blackbirds
and magpies and all for a branch, a hierarchy.

Believe in something real like Elvis, John Lennon, Bob
Marley humanity today not two thousand years ago.
Nelson Mandela now there’s a king of peace.
For two days, I’ve had diarrhea, I struggled
on and of the throne, with a broken back
but I done it, that’s belief.

I bet most of you wish I were dead and not spouting truth
the blasphemer, but I live in this hell hole that you created.
For two days now I have sat alone in your sent

-time-mental shite.

HOPELESS HELL

Without hope and with despair
I try another crack at life
Living in a hopeless hell.
I woke from a coma/stroke

Before that day, I would have died.
I don’t recall a writer paralysed
In a wheelchair.  I have no one
To carry on so I write out of blue
black hole, lost in a negative cap-
ability, an optimistic pessimism.

From a prism of headstone view
Kaleidoscope of life, black

Cracked mirror.

ACHING PLEASURE 

Listening to Allen Ginsberg talk
On jack Kerouac: Aching pleasure.
I want to hold my head in hands
And cry like a baby below the sullen
Image of myself but what’s the point.

All we have is a Christian education
I want to cry my fucking heart out.
It’s my party and ill fucking cry
if I fucking want to, an egoless ego
in a multi-verse. Anne Sexton
and Sylvia Plath were lost
in sullen space-time.

Why can’t we talk of suicide, it’s
Got a side to it.  Why do we think
Of god rhyme?  We have been taught
To look that way.  Nil is sullen, I want
To hold my head up and think
of sullen you.

i want to look beyond a christian education
my microwave sight is like an ocean
waving reflection like the sea in me.
 I can’t even pick up a fucking book of
Of the floor with a reference to this
Pome, that says something about

Rhyme reason fucking time.

POMEING

I live in a strange place of non-memory
it feels like I’m on a global ad for gambling
sex, drink and drugs but none of it is aimed at me.
It feels like I’m beyond this capitalist advertising frenzy
even x-mas is beyond me.
 
It doesn’t seem to matter what time of season it is.
No sense of time or place like a shell on a shore
I live without memory and dreamscape
if you can imagine that.

Re-born that Saturday, April 2005 when I rose-up
from the dead, seconds before I was declared stoned, dead. 
That day, I went to the window, my memory
was in the trees, seasoned time came and went. 
I learned to eat and write again like a child at heart.

Words came slow at first but now I spit them out
of my vocabulary without memory, dream or depth.
Dayroom was that corridor where I watched time
paralyzed down to the bone.  Family, friends, im-
Portant they were my portal.

I watched leaves shimmer on trees.  My girlfriend
left me couldn’t take no more, she was my stone but
she found another man who also took a stroke
so she had to start again.  That must have been hard.
How do you live a missionary life?

I wheeled on all alone, gathering words
then they came out of me like leaves today
their bare branching out doing this way and that, my way. 
My words don’t need a critique, they just ling-error on
pomeing write or wrong.

STAND UP ON YOUR OWN TWO FEET
I have only got two fucking footplates.
My father came from nowhere, was
No one came from his mother’s womb.
Dublin, London, Belfast, it don’t matter
I am his bastard son but the buck stops
here, I don’t talk behind anyone’s back.

They say he was an abuser but he never
abused me, anyway can you believe
an alcoholic. I have no right to say, stand
on your own two feet that’s what he taught me.

This is just my side, say. Ok he was a bastard
To me and those around, of that I’m not proud

but to survive Belfast in the forties must have 

made a hard-man right or wrong. Nurtured

By the streets where he came from.

Olde Ardoyne distorted my view and almost
turned me round but I had the balls he gave
me to stand my ground. I don’t know where
this came from, it was charged and driven by
emotion. This is a pome that comes from
the back yard, from a two up two down
red brick house that made me very proud.

I remember one thing him and mum said to me:
‘you can be a bastard don’t be a cunt’, ‘never
Hurt no one’. Between those rough-cut words
Of wisdom, I grew up to be a writer. So, I will
Put the story straight. Buried up there on those
black hills and down there on my bluestone, Lylo.

No more whispers and lies, stand up on your own
two feet, I know who I am do you?

No comments:

Post a Comment